Monday, August 7, 2017

the rock

I once heard that FEAR stands for Future Events Appearing Real. I am an expert in fear and skilled at making future events seem real and scary. One of the residents at the assisted living center where I work has really helped me to examine fear. I visit June every chance I get, at 94, June has a wisdom and positive outlook that is inspiring. She once told me that she has overcome fear. She went on to explain that living without fear is freedom. June tells me often that she is not afraid because she knows that the Lord will help her; "I've proved it," she'll say.  June lives without fear because of her tremendous faith in the Savior Jesus Christ.


We recently visited Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach, Oregon. Our hotel was right on the beach so we were able to watch the tide come in and out. Like the tide, adversity will come and go. There will always be opposition, conflict and opportunities to grow. So often I focus on the tide, but my friend June, focuses on the rock. That's how she has overcome fear, she does not worry about the rising water or the crashing waves she only sees her Rock, Jesus Christ. She knows that He will be there to help her in future events because He is always there.


Haystack Rock is the symbol for Sadie's mission. The Scripture theme associated with the rock is found in D&C 6:34

"Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail." 


No comments:

Post a Comment

positive comments welcome