Monday, July 31, 2017
mindfulness
This weekend I had the opportunity to learn from my young adult children and their friends. They are tired of the constant needling about dating and marriage. I was quick to defend myself and others who revel in the dating dialogue by saying we just want you to be happy and progress. One of my daughters pointed out that my line of thinking implies that those who are single can't be happy or progress - she said "it makes my life feel less valuable." EYE-OPENER! The last thing I want to do is make my children or other single adults feel that their life has less value. As I have pondered the conversations of the weekend I was reminded of something I recently read in my study of mindfulness.
"Mindfulness is being aware of the here and now. That's it: just awareness-without judgment.
I had not thought to apply the principle of mindfulness to my kids but that is exactly what I need to do. I need to do a better job of just being aware of the here and the now - without judgment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
positive comments welcome