Wednesday, April 19, 2017

loving Walt

As David and I walked out of the reception hall on our wedding day and headed off to our honeymoon, I remember saying “Bye Dad” to my father-in-law. He commented how strange it was to have me call him Dad. It has been strange. . . and at times difficult for me to use the endearing titles of Mom and Dad when speaking of my in-laws.

Less than two months ago I lost my father. My Dad was so easy to love. My father-in-law is now facing end of life and it is difficult to watch. Drowning in debt, abandoned by his 2nd wife, kicked out of his home, and put into a strange and unfamiliar facility to die. For me the most difficult part of this whole situation is my struggle to truly love this man who has been at the root of so many of our adversities.

I have had many sleepless nights over the past three months, the stress in our life has been crushing. On one such night I lay pondering about our two Dads and the still small voice whispered "The true lesson in charity will not be in how you loved your Dad, but how you love Walt."

Loving Walt is a commitment of both time and money. As we have contemplated the possibility of exhausting our resources to pay for his care, we have been reminded of the teachings of  King Benjamin.

"And also, ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish.

Perhaps thou shalt say: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him of my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just—

But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath great cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God.

For behold, are we not all beggars? Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have." 

Last week as David and I discussed what we were going to do to help his Dad, I confessed that I am willing to make the sacrifices necessary, but I want our sacrifice to be acknowledged and appreciated. David tearfully said "I bet that is how they Savior feels, and why in the end 'every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is the Christ'"


No comments:

Post a Comment

positive comments welcome