Friday, April 21, 2017

dad's scriptures

Just days after my Dad passed away, came a quiet whisper to ask my Mom if I could borrow Dad's scriptures. I had been pondering how I could make my personal scripture study more meaningful and Dad's scriptures became my answer. This morning as read in 1 Nephi, Chapter 11, a long ago memory was unearthed.

I was a college student and our family went to Moon Lake for a weekend vacation. Dad had asked each of the boys to teach from a favorite scripture. A little bothered that I was not asked to share, I invited myself to participate. Jerry shared Ether 12:27, a verse that has become very meaningful to me. Dad taught us from 1 Nephi 11:1 and outlined the steps to receiving personal revelation.


We were quick to pick out the words desire, believe and ponder, but Dad had us focus on the word sat. This morning as I read and remembered, I was anxious to turn to Mark 1:35 (the hand written scripture reference jotted in the margin.)

"And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and prayed." 

I remember Dad teaching us the importance of stillness and quiet meditation as we seek greater understanding of the Lords plan for us.

Dad's death has not brought the sadness I expected. I find comfort in knowing his influence is no longer limited. I continue to be blessed by his example and feel his love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

positive comments welcome