Wednesday, October 2, 2013

the service mode (dueling depression #2)

I have come to believe that there are two modes for living, the survival mode and the service mode. The survival mode seems to breed depression while the service mode fosters happiness. All of us experience times when just getting out of bed in the morning and surviving our day is an accomplishment. Although necessary at times, I do not believe the survival mode was ever intended to be my permanent address. It becomes too easy to convince myself that I am too busy to serve; or that I have too much stuff in my own life to help someone else deal with with their stuff; or I need to find myself before I can reach out to someone else. For me the survival mode is a place of emotional hoarding where all of my love, compassion, generosity, and kindness is sucked up by selfishness.

I have experienced the reality of the Saviors teaching found in Matthew 10:39 "He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it."  No question, the service mode is the best way to operate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

positive comments welcome