Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Maria

Every morning I peek through the blinds of our front room window to get my first glimpse of the day. This morning my heart sank as I saw the empty house across the street. John and Maria are moving to California, but they have lived across from us for the past eight years, they have been wonderful neighbors and the best of friends. That first glimpse of the morning has always been a little brighter because I knew I had a friend.  



My favorite quote on friendship comes from Marvin J. Ashton: "a friend is a person who is willing to take me the way I am but who is willing and able to leave me better than {she} found me." Maria has been such a friend!  


Maria has allowed me to be myself; as a Relief Society President, a Bishop's wife, through it all, Maria's friendship has given me a safe zone where I could just be me. She has forgiven my thoughtless mistakes and permitted our friendship to grow. Maria helps me to laugh about my life and lightens my load as she listens. Oh how I will miss my dear friend!   


I know we have cell phones and facebook, but I will miss our driveway discussions and gabbing on the front porch. I will miss the co-op we have created with the free exchange of butter, and eggs on Sunday afternoons. I will miss writing her name on my children's emergency release form. We never really had a car pool, just "an arrangement" and I will miss knowing that I have friend who will always "arrange" to be there for me and my kids. 


Maria has taught me, through her example, what it means to be a friend. I hope I can take what I have learned from her and be a better friend to others. . . because everyone needs a Maria;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

positive comments welcome