Friday, January 12, 2018

President Monson

This morning I watched the funeral services of our Prophet, President Thomas S. Monson. I have enjoyed hearing the wonderful stories of his personal encounters with church members. I though it appropriate to share mine. 

My first memory of President Monson was as a Primary aged child. I don't know why we were in President Monson's office, but I remember distinctly him signing his name on a pamphlet containing his April 1970 conference talk, and giving it to me as a keepsake. I have searched all week for the pamphlet and while looking for something else found the proof of my childhood memory.  

During my teenage years, my Dad served as the Executive Secretary to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. It was not uncommon for General Authorities to call our home. When Elder Monson phoned he would call me by name. For a teenage girl, with an unusual name which was often mispronounced, that was a very big deal!  One day Elder Monson called and said "Hello Dawnette," my heart sank at the thought that he had forgotten my name. The following day when my Dad came home from work he said "Elder Monson wanted me to apologize to you for calling you the wrong name on the telephone yesterday." President Monson had not only remembered my name he had remembered me.

Truly President Monson practiced what he preached --- "My brothers and sisters, we are surrounded by those in need of our attention, our encouragement, our support, our comfort, our kindness."  Thomas S. Monson, October 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

positive comments welcome