 |
| Emily, Judd & Chloe - Empire State Building |
Last week Judd, Emily and I went to New York to pick up Chloe from her summer internship. I have been saving my work money so we could make a little trip of it. Unfortunately, David did not have time off, so he was not with us. We did not do a lot of the tourist stuff, but focused on seeing the city through Chloe's eyes. I think my favorite thing about our trip was coming up out of the subway and finding myself in another world. Brooklyn, China Town, Little Italy, West End, Union Square. . . they all had their own feel, smell even taste. There is such diversity. In the subways the diversity is reflected through music. Right on our subway car we had a jazz trio, a classical violinist and a folk guitar artist. The guitar guy ended his performance by shouting "
Don't let anyone steal your joy!"
 |
| Gelato in Little Italy |
A I have pondered the guitar player's words I have had the opportunity to reflect on what
I allow to steal my joy. Teddy Roosevelt once said "Comparison is the thief of joy" It's so true. I can be completely content and happy with my life until I start comparing myself to others or to an unrealistic expectations. Fear can also rob me of joy. As a Mom, I find that concern for family can pick my pocket of joy. Somehow if feels wrong to feel happy when one of my children is unhappy. I'm not sure how to show empathy while maintaining a strong hold on my personal joy.
 |
Day trip to Philadelphia
Top of Museum of Art staircase (Rocky Steps) |
The guitar player's mantra has also given me cause to reflect on what brings me joy. My greatest joy comes in knowing that I have a Heavenly Father who loves me and wants me to experience joy. I'm grateful for my Savior, who is Joy! I recognize that every moment of joy I experience in life comes from the Divine Creators, how grateful I am for the abundant blessings in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment
positive comments welcome