Wednesday, October 2, 2013

control (dueling depression #4)

Sometimes I have no idea why I get down and depressed, that's when I blame it on the wiring of women. Puberty, pregnancy, menopause and every month in between seems to bring its own mood altering challenges. Chocolate helps!  But you know what they say, a moment on the lips forever on the hips; and of course unhealthy weight gain only adds to the depression.  A few years ago I attended a TOPS (take off pounds sensibly) meeting.  The presenter that day spoke of a challenging time in her life when she had no control over the problems her family was facing.  She commented that sometimes we are so focused on the things we can't control that we don't take control of the things that we can control. She took control of her health, lost weight, and was in a better place to handle the challenges of her life. Her simple story was inspirational. Since then I have learned that one of the best ways to combat feelings of depression is to focus on the things that I can control. That usually starts with controlling what I eat. I have had trouble sleeping for years and find that in the darkness of night my thoughts become dark as well. Recently I have discovered a correlation with what/how much I eat and how I sleep. Turns out, I sleep better when I eat better!  I suppose it's a no-brainer, but the way I take care of my physical body has a huge impact on my ability to cope with depression.

No comments:

Post a Comment

positive comments welcome