Our daughter, Sadie, recently returned from serving a mission. It has been a joy to have her home and hear of her experiences. I have a great appreciation for her Mission President and his wife and I'm grateful for the many lessons Sadie leaned from them.
Upon arrival in the mission field, President S. gave each missionary the opportunity to take a strength test. Identifying her strengths helped Sadie to better understand herself and build confidence throughout her mission. Clearly President S. used this strength identifying tool to help guide and counsel the missionaries. I'm sure it was also valuable in assigning and coaching companionships. So after hearing all about this test, I decided I needed to take the Clifton Strengths Test. It has been fun to study the descriptions of each theme and ponder how they correlate with what I believe to be my divine gifts and talents.
In thinking about this whole "strength thing" I have come to a couple of personal discoveries. First, I need to focus on strength rather than weakness. This is a principle I leaned from my Dad years ago, but frankly, I had forgotten it. I remember him saying "I'm a poor speller, but I focused on building my strengths and now I have a secretary to spell for me."
The second discovery is a greater understanding of the scripture found in Ether 12:27 "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me and have faith in me, then will I make week things become strong unto them." I quote this scripture all the time, but I've missed the key element - humility. Pride is afraid of weakness; Humility recognizes that weakness is an invitation to come unto Christ.
So my take aways from the Clifton Strength Test . . . focus on my strength and focus on the Savior-the source of my strength.

No comments:
Post a Comment
positive comments welcome