Monday, August 25, 2014

let's fix the kids

Years ago David and I purchased a parenting program titled "Let's Fix the Kids." It was helpful to our family at the time, but as I have aged and hopefully matured, I can't help but wonder. . . what if the kids don't need to be fixed? I suppose it's human nature to want everyone to think and act within our own personal parameters of normal, so when others color outside our lines we seek to fix them.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in appropriate discipline and correction. I've just learned that my brand of what's right, what's appropriate can at times be wrong. As a wife and a mother I still find myself trying to fix the kids (and my husband) but the truth is, the only person I can fix, is me. I am grateful for David who has never tried to fix me. He has given me room to grow and allowed me time to discover for myself those things that I need to fix.

In Psalm 139:14, King David rejoiced in the fact that he was fearfully and wonderfully made "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made." I liked one commentary which used the word awesome as a synonym for fearfully. Each of us is awesome and wonderful, the marvelous work of our Creator! I'm thinking the flaws we fear in ourselves and in others are not flaws at all but divinely appointed opportunities to experience the awesome power of the Savior as we learn to live and love like Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment

positive comments welcome