Monday, February 3, 2014

lessons from Eve

Yesterday in Sunday School, we read about the fall of Adam and Eve. The wording in Genesis 3:16 makes it easy to draw the conclusion that Eve was being punished for her actions, however, I think the Lord was merely stating how the consequences of the fall would affect Adam and Eve. At closer look, those consequences can be seen as blessings.


During the lesson, we discussed the word sorrow. (I will multiply thy sorrow and thy conception: in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children.)  In Hebrew, sorrow denotes labor or pain. During our lesson sorrow was equated with tenderness. I like that! As divinely called nurturers it makes sense that women are blessed with a tender heart. I came home from our lesson and looked up the word conception hoping to get a better understanding.  Of course conception implies to conceive and bear children but I found an additional meaning to be significant.  The word conception also means the way something is perceived or regarded. . . understanding. After partaking of the fruit, Eve knew what she had not known before, her perception was immediately enlarged and she had a clear understand of the plan of happiness and the joy that comes as a result of being part of a family. (Moses 5:11) I am comforted by this divinely appointed consequence applied to women.  I believe our conception, or understanding of the great plan of happiness is multiplied. I think David probably tires of my constant desire to improve our family and our marriage, but I have come to believe that it is part of the divine nature of women to see a larger picture and greater possibilities in regards to the family.

Eve is told "thy desire shall be to thy husband." Those words jumped out at me and I have found myself pondering them. The word "desire" is the English translation, but in numerous ancient translations of the Bible the word used is "turning." My memory and my journal record countless evidence that I have turned my life toward my husband. I believe this righteous "desire," is the wellspring of a woman's tremendous capacity to love.

The final consequence for Eve was that "he shall rule over thee" I think that biblical phrase has bothered women since the beginning of time.  President Spencer W. Kimball replaced the word "rule" with preside and taught "The place of the woman in the Church is to walk beside the man, not in front of him nor behind him.  In the Church there is full equality between man and woman."

I can't help but wonder if the words "thy husband shall rule over thee" were also a foreshadowing of the great human struggle women throughout time have faced.  It takes tremendous faith to be a woman, to believe in your heart that you are loved and valued by a divine Creator while living in a world that continues to view women as a commodity to be ruled over. I really like the idea of some religious scholars who believe the phrase "thy husband shall rule over thee" is a warning. If women turn from God to man they will find themselves being dominated by men.  

I am grateful to my Heavenly Father who has answered my prayerful request for greater understanding and through the Spirit has allowed me to lean from Eve.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

positive comments welcome