Friday, December 13, 2013

portrait of a prophet

Last Sunday my Relief Society lesson was on the Prophet Joseph Smith. The week before I was to give the lesson I kept getting the impression that I needed to call my next door neighbor and ask her to tell me about the portrait of Joseph Smith she has hanging in her living room. It is a unique and absolutely beautiful portrait I have long admired. Anyway, I called my friend and through the course of our conversation I found out about the many challenges their family is currently facing. I was honored to display the portrait during the lesson and was able to share with the Relief Society that my friend's mother-in-law, whom they have cared for in their home for the past five years, was not doing well. Early Monday morning I received a text from my friend letting me know her mother-in-law had passed away. I am so grateful for an impression to ask about a picture of Joseph Smith. The conversations I had with my friend last week allowed me to be a more compassionate and understanding friend this week. I think our Relief Society was also better prepared to reach out in loving kindness because of a portrait of a prophet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

positive comments welcome