Sunday, November 3, 2013

the bishop's daughters

This morning as David walked out the door to Bishopric meeting I commented "Well you've made it to the three year mark," he quipped back "so have you."  As I reflected about our experiences, I though of our two youngest daughters who have lived at home for the past three years. Having the Bishop live at our house brings a rather unique set of challenges. It's not easy being the Bishop and it's hard to be the Bishop's daughters.

One of the difficult things about being the family of the Bishop is the loss of personal identity. I laugh that even my close friends in the ward no longer introduce me as RaDawn, I'm introduced as "the Bishop''s wife." The loss of identity is particularly difficult for teenage girls. At a time when they are struggling to figure out who they are and longing to be recognized for their own individuality they have been branded as the Bishop's.


Sometimes I think it is our daughters that sacrifice the most in order for their Dad to serve as Bishop. They give up so much so that he can give to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

positive comments welcome