Monday, July 29, 2013

peace

I was recently released from Primary and called to serve as a Relief Society instructor.  I enjoy teaching Relief Society because it gives me an opportunity to study the gospel as it relates to women and share insight that I feel blessed to receive through the gifts of the spirit. The following thought was something that came to me as I prepared a lesson on Personal Peace: The Reward for Righteousness (May Ensign 2013)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

It has been my experience that even while doing "the works of righteousness" (D&C 59:23) I can still struggle to find peace. In John 14:27 the Savior promises peace and then says: "let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."  These are more than words of comfort, for me they are a command. For I have learned that when I focus my attention on my troubles and fears there is little room in my heart for the promised peace of the Savior. 

Our girls love the movie Ann of Green Gables.  In one scene, Anne says to Marilla, "Can't you even imagine being in the depths of despair?"  Marilla responds; "No I cannot. To despair is to turn you back on God."

We can choose to turn our back on God through disobedience, but I  believe we can also turn our back on God's peace by focusing our attention on our troubles and fears. By being so eager to embrace feelings of guilt, resentment, anger, frustration and worry we pave our own road to despair and deny ourselves the very thing we seek . . . Peace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

positive comments welcome